The Otto Grau Restoration Page 4
"Everyone one has an old piano in their basement you can have if you move it."
Piano Home Otto Grau Melville Clark Questions Spare Parts Slide Show
My Fisrt Piano Book (Provided by my Teacher)

Well the first lesson is in the bag, I'm in way over my head. (1-8-2010)
I've started on the Action,
Well I did now I've stopped until I get new Hammers.

I have a couple keys that aren't working, so in I go to find out why. Turns out the Butt Felt is missing. Of course I don't have any BUtt Felt around so I have to order it. I fixed a few using scraps of Back Rail Cloth. While I have it apart I might as well start on resurfacing the hammers. (1-19-2010)

The little piece of Green Felt is the Hammer Butt Cloth (Back Rail Cloth)
Also had to replace a broken "Let Off Regulating Screw" what a pain getting the broken one out.

This really is organized I have them numbered too. ( Took 2 shots to get me smiling) (1-19-2010)

Reshaping hammers with Buster at my side waiting to play fetch with anything that might fall off the table. Notice book in the background for reference and cell phone incase I need to call for help.

They look like new, I took about an 3/16" off the face of these.

Much easier to take several off at a time then to strugle working one at at time. (1-19-2010)

Also going to fix the last double damper on the left. eventually I am going to replace the dampers. (Everything costs money) (1-20-2010)

Little spring clamps work well for holding Butt Felt in place while glue sets. (1-20-2010)

Look like new. (1-20-2010)

This is what they looked like before I started.


WOW!!! what a difference. Hope they sound better too. At least they all work now. (1-20-2010)

The 2 missing hammers are tomorrow nights project. I also had to replace a "Hammer Butt Spring" circled in blue. This is what pushes the hammer back to its resting position. It took a long to get one off the old action as it did to figure out how to replace it. It is a small wire spring that goes through the 'Spring Rail" and bends flat behind the felt. (1-20-2010)

These hammers had been replaced sometime in the past with hammers that were much smaller then the original hammers were. I have an old action for spare parts, so I took a couple hammers from it. Now I have to get the old hammers off the "Hammer Shanks" and get the new hammers on keeping the same angles so they hit the strings correctly. This was a larger task then I thought, there is a tool for this and if you are going to do it much it might be worth buying. Trying to drill these was quite interesting good thing I had extras it took a couple tries to get something I was happy with. (1-21-2010)

The first tuning was done on February 16th and I think all went well 1 wire broke and it couldn't be brought all the way to pitch but all in all I think it went OK.

After I get the hammers reshaped then I am going to try regulating the action. I have since decided that new hammers are in order, so I will be buying new hammers as soon as I can and the refurbishing the action.
Page 1 <---> Page 2 <---> Page 3 <---> Page 4 <---> Page 5 <---> Page 6
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Comments and Questions can be emailed to Ed Waite
Please feel free to use any of the pictures on my site.
If you would like higher resolution picture please feel free to email me.